Editor’s note: The following holiday season closings and special hours were submitted by university departments and units. For updated information or questions, contact them directly.
Hours are 7 a.m.-2 a.m. Dec. 21, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 22, and 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Dec. 23, closed Dec. 24-26 and Dec. 31-Jan. 2.
The union is open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Dec. 27-30. On those days Barnes & Noble will be open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., STA Travel from 10 a.m.-6 p.m., and Panda Express from 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Hours are 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Dec. 21-22, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 23; closed Dec. 24-Jan. 2.
Hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 21-23; 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 27-30, and closed Dec. 24-26 and Dec. 31-Jan. 2.
The Occupational Health Services clinic in the Med Inn Building will close Dec. 26 and reopen at 7 a.m. Jan. 3. The U-M Emergency Room is open for work injuries and exposures. U-M Health System employees who have had a body substance exposure should page 5356. A nurse will return the call immediately.
Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum
The Conservatory, Garden Store and lobby are closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve; and open 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. New Year’s Day. The Reader Center at Nichols Arboretum is closed Dec. 26-30 and Jan. 2. Outdoor grounds and trails at Matthaei and Nichols Arboretum are open sunrise to sunset.
Information and Technology Services (ITS)
Most ITS offices close at 5 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopen Jan. 3. Report critical service outages to 764-HELP.
• University Phone Operators are closed Dec. 24-26; they are available at 764-1817 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 27-30; and are closed Dec. 31-Jan. 2. A 24-hour automated system at 734-615-2244 is available to provide student, faculty and staff phone numbers.
• ITS Service Center closes at 5 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopens at 7 a.m. Jan. 3. For system status information, go to status.its.umich.edu/. For administrative system availability information, go to www.mais.umich.edu/systeminfo/hours.html.
• Angell Hall Computing Site closes at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopens at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 3. Winter 2011 Interim Hours (Jan. 3-14) are 7:30 a.m.-11:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-11:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. The School of Education building closes at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopens at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 3. Holiday hours for other Campus Computing Sites is at www.itcs.umich.edu/sites/labs/hours.php.
• Computer Showcase at the Michigan Union closes at 5 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopens at 9 a.m. Jan. 3. The Pierpont Commons store is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 19-22 and closed Dec. 23-Jan. 2. Computer repair and consulting services follow the Computer Showcase schedule. Repairs dropped off Dec. 15-16 may not be completed prior to closing on Dec. 23. No repairs will be accepted between Dec. 19-Jan. 3; consultants will be in for pick-ups Dec. 19-23 and Jan. 3. Repair times may be affected by demand, resulting in possible delays in shipping of replacement parts during December.
• The ITS Comm Customer Service Center closes at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopens at 8 a.m. Jan. 3. Emergency voice, data or video repair requests should be reported to 734-647-8888. Select emergency option, then select voice, video or data and an operator will take information and dispatch technicians. For non-emergency voice, data or video repair requests, call 734-647-8888, select the non-emergency option, then select voice, video or data and leave a message. These requests are handled beginning Jan. 3. Any changes to this schedule will be posted at www.itcs.umich.edu.
• Information and Infrastructure Assurance is on call through Winter Break. Report IT security incidents including data breaches by submitting security incident specifics at safecomputing.umich.edu/main/contact.php.
The Bentley Historical Library will close at noon Dec. 23 and reopen at 9 a.m. Jan. 3.
The Office of Financial Aid will close Dec. 26 and reopen at 8 a.m. Jan. 3. The office also will close at noon Dec. 15 and reopen Dec. 16.
Towsley Children’s House will be closed Dec. 23-Jan. 2.
University Health Service holiday hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Dec. 23, 9 a.m.-noon Dec. 24, closed Dec. 25 and 26, open 9 a.m.-noon Dec. 27-31, and closed Jan. 1 and 2.
The School of Education will be open 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 23 and closed Dec. 24-Jan. 2.
Most campus offices close at end of business Dec. 23 and reopen Jan. 3, with exceptions:
• Mardigian Library Computer Lab closes 4:45 p.m. Dec. 22, reopens at 10 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Jan. 3-6; is closed Jan. 7-8; and regular hours resume Jan. 9.
• Computing Wing Lab closes at 5:45 p.m. Dec. 21, at 4:45 p.m. Dec. 22 and noon Dec. 23. The lab is closed Dec. 24-Jan. 2, open from 8 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Jan. 3-6, and open from noon -4:45 p.m. Jan. 7-8; regular hours resume Jan. 9.
• The bookstore is closed Dec. 26-27 and Jan. 2.
All UM-Flint offices/buildings are closed from 5 p.m. Dec. 23-Jan. 2, excepting vital services and the following buildings:
• The University Pavilion (includes the University Bookstore and several restaurants), open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 27-30.
• Northbank Center, open 6 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 27-30.
• Recreation Center, open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 24 (pool hours 9 a.m.-3 p.m.), and 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Dec. 27-30 (pool hours 11 a.m.-7 p.m.).
Biomedical Research Core Facilities
The schedule for the individual laboratories is:
• Biomedical Research Stores (2580 Medical Science Research Building II; 2297 Life Sciences Institute; A681 Biomedical Science Research Building; 8054 Brehm Center; 179 B14 North Campus Research Complex): open until 5 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopening at 8:15 a.m. Jan. 3. The deadline for special orders to be placed is 10 a.m. Dec. 21.
• The DNA Sequencing Core’s remote sample drop-off locations follow normal schedules Dec. 23. The Edward H. Kraus Building site closes at noon, the LSI site at 3:30 p.m., and the Brehm site at 5 p.m. The main sample drop-off desk in 2568 MSRB II closes at 4:30 p.m. All core operations reopen at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 3. To receive results before the Dec. 23 closing, watch the core’s website for notice of turnaround times and holiday deadlines. For NextGen sequencing and microarray analysis, contact the core technician(s) responsible.
• Transgenic Animal Model Core (2578 MSRB II/2526 MSRB I): Services will not be available after 5 p.m. Dec. 23. The core will reopen at 9 a.m. Jan. 3.
• Flow Cytometry Core, 7416 Cancer and Geriatrics Center: The core will be closed Dec. 23. It will operate with reduced capacity and reduced hours 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 26-30. Experiments should be scheduled in advance. Investigators who wish to have experiments performed Dec. 14-23 should schedule as soon as possible. At 3222 LSI, A701 BSRB and 134D B20W NCRC, the Flow Cytometry Core Satellite will be closed Dec. 23-Jan. 2.
• Protein Structure Core (2560A/2568 MSRB II): Services are not available after 2 p.m. Dec. 22. Services resume at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 3.
• Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Core, 1553 CC Little: Contact Scott Woehler at 734-763-9284 for the holiday schedule.
• Biosafety Containment Core, 3566 MSRB II: Contact Steven King at 734-763-4859.
Facilities and Operations
Call 734-763-1131 to reach the Department of Public Safety for crimes or safety concerns, and 734-647-2059 to reach the Plant Operations Call Center for maintenance requests including custodial, grounds and parking maintenance.
Planet Blue (energy reduction)
• Turn off all unused office equipment such as computers, monitors, printers, fans, coffee pots and task lighting, and unplug chargers for cell phones and PDAs. Set thermostats per the building manager’s recommendations. Close windows to save energy and prevent water pipes and sprinkler heads from freezing.
• Building managers should provide Building Automation Services with schedule information via email at PO-BAS@umich.edu, or call 734-763-4013 if facility ventilation should be turned on due to special events or activities in offices, classrooms or other areas from 5 p.m. Dec. 23-1 a.m. Jan. 3. Ventilation service for animal rooms and research areas with fume hoods or special ventilation requirements will operate as normal. Close fume hoods and where available switch to low or unoccupied.
Department of Public Safety
• Remind staff, faculty and student colleagues before leaving for the holidays to close and lock all windows and doors; secure valuables; lock desks, rooms and closets; and ensure a safe shut down of labs not operating over the holiday by capping chemicals, shutting down equipment and more.
• Building managers: Email building hours to DPS as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org so DPS staff is informed and can respond appropriately to incidents. Regular custodial services will conclude Dec. 23. Upon request, limited custodial services dedicated to common area and rest room cleaning will be provided during season days. Email custodial service requests to the Plant Operations Call Center at email@example.com as soon as possible. Waste collection for trash and recyclables will be monitored and will occur on an as-needed basis. Call 734-647-2059 for additional needs.
Plant Operations Services
The Key Office will close to walk-in service at 3:45 p.m. Dec. 23. The office will reopen at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 3. Call the Plant Operations Call Center at 647-2059 for emergencies.
Occupational Safety and Environmental Health
Call 734-764-4420 before Dec. 16 for approval of radioactive material deliveries on Dec. 27-30. Deliveries may be scheduled if lab staff is available to receive and secure packages.
Waste collections for radioactive waste, chemical waste and medical/pathological waste will be conducted through Dec. 23 and resume Jan. 3. Call 763-4568 before Dec. 16 to request special pick-ups.
Property Disposition closes at 11 a.m. Dec. 15, and reopens for sales from 8-11:30 a.m. and a 10:30 a.m. auction Dec. 17. Normal hours resume Dec. 19-22; the unit is closed Dec. 23-Jan. 2.
Parking and Transportation
U-M Transit Services: There is no bus service on Dec. 25 and Jan.1. Regular campus bus and UMHS shuttle service will be modified:
• Commuter and Northwood: Regular service will run through Dec. 23 and resume Jan. 3.
• Bursley/Baits: Regular service will run through Dec. 22 and resume Jan. 3.
• Northwood buses will run every 40 minutes from 7:35 a.m.-6:15 p.m. Dec. 24. See the Dec. 24 schedule at www.pts.umich.edu for departure times. From Dec. 26-31 and Jan. 2, Northwood buses run every 40 minutes and follow the season day schedule.
• Regular UMHS shuttle service will run through Dec. 23 and resume Jan. 3.
• From Dec. 27-30 a season day Parking Loop will run every 20 minutes from 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. from/to the Mitchell Field and Fuller Road north lots and from/to the Catherine, Ann, Glen and Palmer parking structures. It will not serve the Wall St. or NIB stops. Check the departure schedule at pts.umich.edu/taking_the_bus/umhs_holiday.php.
• Paratransit Service. Regular service runs through Dec. 23. Service resumes Jan. 3.
Parking enforcement will be suspended for permits and meter fees in all U-M parking areas except the Simpson Circle (Mott) Structure, North Entrance (Cancer Center) Structure, Cardiovascular Center Structure and Taubman South Deck (P3) from 5 p.m. Dec. 23-6 a.m. Jan. 3.
• Orange Lots M75 and NC78 on Fuller Road will be available for parking Dec. 27-30 with season day shuttle service to the Medical Center provided every 20 minutes from 6:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
• Medical Center evening and night shift staff with yellow or orange permits who cannot be accommodated by the Parking Loop shuttle will be allowed to park at the Taubman North Deck (P2 only) Dec. 24-Jan. 2. Staff must exit via a patient/visitor lane and show a permit to the parking attendant for free exit.
• Patient and visitor parking at the Taubman Parking Structure North Deck, Cancer Center Parking Structure, Simpson Circle Structure and CVC Parking Structure will continue normal operations throughout the holiday season, except Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1 and 2 when parking is free. Patient and visitor parking at the Fletcher and Palmer structures is free Dec. 24-Jan. 2.
Fleet Services will close at 4 p.m. Dec. 23 and reopen at 6:30 a.m. Jan. 3. Vehicles to be rented over this period will need to be picked-up prior to closing Dec. 23. The Fleet Services office telephone, 734-764-3427, will be forwarded to an informational voice recording. The garage will close at midnight Dec. 24 and re-open at 7 a.m. Jan. 3. For vehicle emergencies, contact DPS at 763-1131. The call will be returned by a garage supervisor.
The service station at Baxter Road will remain in service through the season day period. The Kipke site will be accessible on a limited basis, as gates for lot SC10 will be closed during non-operational hours.
Ann Arbor Transportation Authority
Go to www.theride.org for holiday season service changes.
Karl Daubmann, associate professor of architecture at the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, on what inspires him: "Objects where the design adds value and negotiates multiple requirements that far exceed the intended function."
UNStill Life Acrylic Paintings by Joyce Lieberman, through Feb. 6, Gifts of Art Gallery, University Hospital