News for faculty and staff

Contact | Past Issues

Week of July 22, 2013

Old school: U-M in History

1886 team


U-M baseball team members hold striped caps for a studio photo.
— Courtesy Bentley Historical Library

This month in history (175 years ago)

The Board of Regents appointed Chief Justice William Fletcher and Dr.
Samuel Denton to exchange lands with the Ann Arbor Land Co. so the university
site would be a right-angled parallelogram. This was done by cutting
off some of the north part of the plot and adding to the south part. They
also were directed to cause a street 100 feet wide to be laid out on each
side. They are today known as North, East and South University avenues,
and State Street. — From “The University of Michigan, An Encyclopedic Survey”

Have a campus memory to share? Use the comment box below.

READER COMMENTS (0) POST A COMMENT 

Leave a comment

All fields are required.




email address will not be shown


Please enter the words you see below for anti-spam purposes:
NO SPAM

 

STAFF SPOTLIGHT

Patrick Drone, theatrical properties master, University Productions, on his seasonal mechanic work at The Henry Ford’s Greenfield Village: “The similarities between the theatrical world and the village are very close.”