News for faculty and staff

Contact | Past Issues

Week of June 10, 2013

Old school: U-M in History

Haven Hall fire


A fire that destroyed Haven Hall, at the northwest corner of Central Campus, raged for three hours June 6, 1950, as a crowd of 15,000 watched. Built in 1863 to house the Law Department, by 1950 it was home to the History, Journalism and Sociology departments and the Bureau of Government. A wing of Angell Hall completed in 1952 reused the name Haven Hall.  — Courtesy Bentley Historical Library

This month in history (48 years ago)

In June 1965, bids were authorized for an administration building at 503 Thompson St. A $2.9 million budget was approved the next year, and the building, now known as the Fleming Administration Building, was completed in 1968. It provided 78,944 gross square feet for central administrative functions. —  From “The University of Michigan, An Encyclopedic Survey”

Have a campus memory to share? Use the comment box below.

READER COMMENTS (0) POST A COMMENT 

Leave a comment

All fields are required.




email address will not be shown


Please enter the words you see below for anti-spam purposes:
NO SPAM

 

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT

Mark Newman, Paul Dirac Collegiate Professor of Physics, on the science of networks: “We study how social networks are important in the spread of ideas, fads, fashion, rumors, news, disease, and more.”

EVENTS

The Ann Arbor Summer Festival returns with Top of the Park Rackham stage shows and films, beginning at 7 p.m. June 14 at Ingalls Mall.

View/Submit Events