While the ground floor of the Michigan Union MUG food area is being renovated this summer, a variety of lunch and snack items will be available at the new Summer Selections food service area on the first floor.
Opening today, the area will feature six separate food stands that will operate until the MUG area reopens for the start of the fall semester. There also will be expanded food options in U-go’s on the ground floor.
The MUG area closed Sunday for renovations, after which Ahmo’s Mediterranean Grill will join Wendy’s, Subway and Panda Express. Wendy’s and Subway will close for the summer and reopen in the fall with expanded offerings. Panda Express will offer some entrées daily on the first floor during the summer.
Other Summer Selections offerings will feature:
• Sandwiches, salads, and side items from Beanster’s, Bert’s and Mujo Café.
• Coffee, specialty espresso beverages, teas, smoothies, and iced drinks at the Coffee Café. Fresh pastries, muffins and other baked goods also will be available.
• An ice cream station.
• Two local operators showcasing their products each day in the Art Lounge. Rotating restaurants will include Palm Palace, Jamaican Jerk Pit, Ahmo’s Gyros and Deli, and Earthen Jar.
• U-go’s on the ground floor of the Union will remain open and offer an expanded selection of quick lunch, dinner and snack items.
• Occasionally throughout the summer, University Unions chefs will prepare special themed dishes such as barbecue, burgers and Michigan-made.
The Coffee Café will be open 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. The Summer Selections locations will be open during 11a.m.-2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Menu items and Chef Lunch information will be featured and updated on the University Unions’ website (www.uunions.umich.edu).
The University Club also will remain open from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Additional seating will be provided in the first floor Art Lounge, Study Lounge, and also outside on the Union Patio.
Other businesses in the Michigan Union will remain open during construction. They include Barnes & Noble Bookstore, TCF ATM, PNC ATM (new north entrance location), Computer Showcase, UM Credit Union and the Michigan Union Ticket Office.
John Megahan, scientific illustrator, graphic designer and Web developer, on his job: "My favorite kind of work is when I can do an illustration that brings in ideas from various aspects and seeing how they interact."
“Visions Of Serenity: Multi Media Group Show,” 8 a.m.-8 p.m. through June 10 at the Gifts of Art Gallery, Taubman Health Center South Lobby.