News for faculty and staff

Contact | Past Issues

Week of November 12, 2012

Old school: U-M in History

Vulcan anvil


Amidst fallen leaves, a woman studies in 1968 on the Diag by the “Vulcan 1904” anvil. The anvil was used during initiations of new members for the engineering honor society. It was moved to North Campus in the 1980s when the College of Engineering relocated there.   — Courtesy Bentley Historical Library

This month in history (62 years ago)

Electronic communication continued to expand at U-M on Nov. 5, 1950, with the inauguration of a series of television programs on WWJ-TV in Detroit. Garnet R. Garrison, who was on the Department of Speech faculty, was appointed director of television. Today, U-M produces a wide range of programs for The Big Ten Network, founded in 2007.— From The University of Michigan, An Encyclopedic Survey 

Have a campus memory to share? Use the comment box below.

READER COMMENTS (2) POST A COMMENT 
Posted by Morgan | Nov 14, 2012
Which building is in the background?
Posted by Morgan | Nov 14, 2012
Which building is in the background?


Leave a comment

All fields are required.




email address will not be shown


Please enter the words you see below for anti-spam purposes:
NO SPAM

 

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT

U. Sean Vance, assistant professor of architecture, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, on what inspires him: “The quality of space. The ability of emptiness to move us and inspire us.”