News for faculty and staff

Contact | Past Issues

Week of October 7, 2013

Old school: U-M in History

The Doors at Homecoming


Jim Morrison and The Doors perform for Homecoming in October 1967 at the Intramural Sports Building. — Courtesy Bentley Historical Library

This month in history (41 years ago)

On Oct. 2, 1972, the former Zeta Psi fraternity house at 1443 Washtenaw Ave. opened as The William Monroe Trotter House, replacing its former home at South and East University Avenues, damaged by fire the previous May. Named for the editor of the first black civil rights newspaper, the Boston Guardian, the 12,913-square-foot facility was guided by an innovative concept providing coordination of a positive social and cultural environment for African-American students on campus. —  From “The University of Michigan, an Encyclopedic Survey.”

Have a campus memory to share? Use the comment box below.

READER COMMENTS (0) POST A COMMENT 

Leave a comment

All fields are required.




email address will not be shown


Please enter the words you see below for anti-spam purposes:
NO SPAM

 

FACULTY SPOTLIGHT

Jeff Ringenberg, lecturer IV for the Computer Science Engineering Division of the College of Engineering, on what inspires him: “Innovation and the pace of technology — the next new thing is always right there.”